Linda Sum was born and raised in Hong Kong, attended high school in the UK, and moved to California for college, and worked in New York City for a few years. Now she’s back in Southern California and enjoying the sunny weather!
A few things that inspired her to learn and work in the design/tech space –
1) Sim City 2000: She was in awe of its UI and icon design when she first played the game at the age of 10
2) Kandinsky’s paintings (composition, VII, 1913): She was deeply moved and inspired by his paintings and his struggle as an artist at the age of 12
3) First time visiting Tokyo at the age of 13: She marveled at the Tokyo subway map and discovered her interest in map and information design
4) A chair design exhibition in Hong Kong: She visited this exhibition when she was 15 and discovered design and Eames!
5) A 2D design class she took at a community college: Linda discovered graphic design as a career path when she was 18